Sunday, September 28, 2008

In the Falling Snow -- "Last Leaf"


First off, I know this is past the deadline!  So I guess I'd be disqualified if this was a contest.  Fortunately it's not...mwhahaha!  So now I go on to post.

For this piece I was just experimenting with a painterly / collage style in Photoshop, often using a Wacom tablet (used Illustrator at the beginning too).  Fun to work on!  I really need to investigate making my own custom brushes, or checking out the site Spike posted.  Enjoy!

P.S. -- A friend of mine pointed out that I was unintentionally making a pun off the word "fall" in "In the Falling Snow" by making a reference to the last leaf of fall.  I guess this is becomming a reoccurring theme of mine...

3 comments:

Todd said...

I really enjoy the single color usage. It has a very clostraphobic feel. In a certain way it's kinda sad. It looks as though it's overwhelmed and dying which is what does happen in fall. To add more emphasis you could repeat the what fade to color within the leaf. Have the edges of the leaf white and gradually fade to color inwards. The past two weeks have been different for you. Most likely 'cause I'm use to seeing you do more character oriented pieces. Hey, different is good. Keep it up!

Mike R. said...

Thanks bro! I like the idea of fading the leaf's edges from white to color in the center. That'd look pretty cool! Thank you too on the compliments on the different works I've been up too. Tryin' new stuff is always fun. A lot of it is pent up ideas / styles / inklings of thought that weren't able to be released during school.

Kristin/Spike said...

I love the texture on those snowflakes! It's really cool. The leaf itself could use a bit more work; right now it's halfway between finished/realistic and cartoony, and it's not working well for either in this stage. Nice colors.

There's a custom brush tutorial at furiae.com which you might find useful (as well as some bodacious art.)